A Day in the Life of Mathair Fiona


Winding Road
So I ran across Kerry’s “A Day in the Life” link up over at Winding Road and thought it sounded like fun.  It is also such a great premise.  This blogging world brings us all together and we begin to form real relationships, but we really don’t know what the day-to-days are like for each of us.  Although most of us are writing from a parenting perspective, just how we live the parenting life is SO different from one another.  I don’t have the time right now to post for each day of the week, so I am going to do an abridged version that gives a general overview of what a day looks like in our household.  I just survived a morning of doctor’s appointments in preparation for the big hand surgery day, so I’m feeling like sharing with everyone what its like around here!
  • 5:50 a.m.: My alarm goes off alerting me to the fact that I have ten minutes before Teddy Bear needs his medicine.  I lay in bed for a few minutes trying to come to grips with the fact that I did not get nearly enough sleep, then I get up, pull my hair back, and put on my glasses.  Time for a diaper change and turning the heater on.
  • 6 a.m.: Give Teddy Bear his medication and nurse.  Then I watch the news or one of my recorded shows that hubby doesn’t like and is inappropriate for my two year-old.
  • 7 a.m.: I usually am in the shower by this time.  Today, I was in half an hour earlier because we had an early doctor appointment.  After my shower, I hop back into my p.j.’s because I like to spend as little time in the bedroom as possible while hubby and Teddy Bear sleep.
  • 7:30 a.m.: I drink my first cup of coffee.  I usually work on my Daily Docket at this time to get my schedule for the day figured out.  Hubby is usually in the shower by this point and Teddy Bear may or may not still be sleeping.
  • 8 a.m.: Time to wake up Crazy Pants.  I pour myself another cup of coffee and head into his room.  Depending on the day, I either put on real clothes just before or just after this part of the day.  When Crazy Pants wakes up he usually wants to read books or build towers.  Today it was tower building.  After a bit we head out to change diapers, watch PBS, and drink milk.  Hubby typically heads out to work by this time, though he is often fielding phone calls throughout the morning.
  • 9 a.m.: This is about the time we get to breakfast.  I may also be putting something in the crock pot if we have to be gone during the day.  If it is a really busy day, I will have already gotten the crock pot meal going.  Today I did not need to do this because I am just going to make chicken soup with left over chicken from a previous crock pot meal.  Go me.  After we eat, Crazy Pants gets his medication (a “quirt” as he calls it), and we brush his teeth.  If I haven’t already dressed him at the first diaper change of the day, we do that now.  It is also likely that Teddy Bear needs to nurse.
  • 10 a.m.: If there are doctors appointments, playgroups, or errands to run we have already loaded into the car and headed out.  Most everything requires 30-45 minutes of drive time so we really have to plan ahead.  Today, I had to be at the first appointment by 9:45 a.m. so we left pretty early and ended up being late anyway because there was an accident.  Such is life.
  • If there is nothing on the agenda, I might get a cooking project such as bread started.  Most likely, we will be reading books, working on flash cards, building towers, making music…. something educational is what I strive for at this time of day.
  • 11 a.m.: If we are at home and not out and about, this is about the time Crazy Pants needs a snack.  So we do that and then might go outside if the weather is nice or we just continue on with 10 a.m. activities.
  • 12 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.: Sometime during this time period, Crazy Pants goes down for a nap.  Teddy Bear will likely have nursed somewhere in here and will be asleep too.  I scarf some food and get started on things like laundry, phone calls, paperwork, large cleaning projects, dishes, blogging, etcetera.
  • 1:50 p.m.: Like just happened right now, my alarm goes off to alert me that I have ten minutes before Teddy Bear needs his medication.  By 2 p.m., I have changed his diaper, I give him his medication and he nurses.
  • 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.: Crazy Pants either wakes up on his own or I wake him.  He almost always wants a story or 15 at this point.  Teddy Bear may or may not be sleeping so sometimes we read and nurse all together.
  • 4 p.m. – 5 p.m.: This is a time of learning activities, outside play, snack time, and general tidying of the house.
  • 5:30 p.m.: This is the latest time that I start dinner.  Crazy Pants gets PBS time from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. so I clean the kitchen, get dinner prep under way and nurse Teddy Bear.
  • 6 p.m.: Hubby is always home by this point, even if he is still in the basement wrapping up his work for the day.  He comes up when that is done and, lately, Crazy Pants wants to watch him play Mario Cart on the Wii while he holds his own ‘mote.  It’s pretty cute.
  • 6:30 p.m.: This is the latest is strive to have dinner on the table.  Sometimes it gets pushed to 7 p.m., but that is now quite rare since I have scheduling pretty well handled.  This is my favorite part of the day, aside from morning wake up.
  • 7 p.m.: We usually wrap up dinner at this point.  Mom and Dad clean up, Dad gives Crazy Pants another ‘quirt and brushes his teeth.  Teddy Bear will likely nurse at this point and Dad does something that Crazy Pants wants to do.  In this hour, Crazy Pants might have a bath, but he always gets jammies, drinks milk, and has a story or two.
  • 8 p.m.: Crazy Pants goes to bed! Hubby and I will wrap up any left over chores that can’t wait until the next day, and then settle in with sweat pants and shows on the DVR.
  • 9:50 p.m.: My alarm goes off to remind me that I have ten minutes until Teddy Bear’s next dose.  This alarm is almost the most important because there is a STRONG likelihood that I have passed out from sheer exhaustion.
  • 10 p.m.: Give Teddy Bear medication, attempt to nurse him, and then crawl into bed by 10:30 p.m.
  • 3 a.m. – 4:30 a.m.: I wake up to nurse Teddy Bear because he has to have no greater than 5 hours between feedings.  His medication can drop his blood sugar so even if he wants to sleep all the way through the night, I can’t let him for two more months.  Ugh.
So there you have it, folks, this is a typical day.  Obviously, not every day is like this because I have to drive to Portland every so often for medical appointments which take up the whole day, and weekends are more laid back.  It took a while to get this schedule down and I have to remind myself that it may change and I’ll have to adapt!
This is what's happening right this very minute...

This is what’s happening right this very minute…

8 thoughts on “A Day in the Life of Mathair Fiona

  1. Wow, your days are filled to the brim, aren’t they? Nice to come home from errands or tend to kids knowing there is something in the crockpot though. Nice job mama, you’re doing great!


Sit a spell.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s